We have a super cute, fast and cheap idea for a very personal Mother’s Day gift: Make a wall decoration with your own silhouette for your mother. It’s a great variation from giving framed pictures of yourself and just takes a few minutes to make. All you need are a couple of Washi Tapes, a side-face picture of yourself, a pair of scissors, a pen and some baking paper. This is how we did it:
1. Stick your picture with some tape on a window, stick your baking paper over it and sketch the outline of your head with a marker or pen.
2. Use different Masking Tapes to stick over the sketch on the sheet of baking paper. Make sure the tape stripes always overlap the outline and always stick it a bit onto the previous stripe, so that all the stripes are well connected (otherwise you’ll have trouble taking your silhouette off the baking paper later).
3. Turn the baking paper sheet around and cut out the silhouette.
4. Carefully remove the Washi Tape silhouette from the baking paper. Be sure you start removing the paper on the first stripe you stuck.
5. Stick the silhouette onto the wall.
Of course you can modify this technique in any way you want. For example you could make two silhouettes (your mother and yourself facing each other) or you could put your silhouette on a card or frame it. We really like the idea of sticking it directly on the wall and surprising your mother with it. You can easily remove the picture to another spot, it will come off very easily without a trace.